Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tastes Like Chicken


Today I humbly eat my hat. Why? I bought a Kindle. Oh, you can't hear me. Sorry. I bought a Kindle. Still can't hear me? OK, OK. I bought a Kindle. I know, I know I'm a traitor. *hangs head in shame* Yes, I do remember when I implied I would never, ever, ever buy a Kindle. But, here's my excuse reason.

When we go on vacation I usually take somewhere between 4-6 books (depending on how long we will be gone and how long the plane ride is). That's 4-6 hardcover, library books. Heavy books that I can not simply leave at hotel book exchanges. And not only are they heavy, they take up a lot of room in my suitcase - and airlines are now severely limiting the weight of passengers' luggage. (And I like to take lots of shoes - also fairly heavy). I know what you're thinking, "Yeah, yeah more excuses." Now stay with me here. There's more.

Geoff loves gadgets. He doesn't indulge in many, but he is intrigued by them. He also LOVES to buy books. No library books for him. (He also rarely reads said books. But that's fodder for another post). So, our bookshelves are overflowing with Geoff's unread books. You see where I'm going with this, right? The Kindle is perfect for him. He can continue to buy books (at a reduced cost. See I'm saving us money), my bookshelves will no longer be in danger of collapsing, I can take as many books as I want on vacation without needing any extra luggage AND Geoff can have a new toy to play with. Win-win.

So, I'm not a complete traitor. I'm sure I will hate reading on the Kindle. I'm certain that as soon as I get home, I will pass it on to Geoff and avoid it until our next vacation. I'm not even certain I'll be able to use it on vacation, because I might really hate the thing. (I'm getting it a little early so I can "practice" on it). So please, don't be mad at me for not having any strength in my convictions. I promise I will never, ever, ever give up on books completely.

Oh and by the way, this hat is delicious. It tastes just like chicken!

In all seriousness now, I owe a HUGE apology to Terra from Tales From The Nightstand. Several weeks ago she and I discussed the virtues of a Kindle through a series of email exchanges. (She loves hers, by the way). I mentioned that a friend of mine was seriously thinking about getting one (she eventually decided against it). Anyway, Terra asked me to encourage my friend to buy it through her blog. And I did mention it. And today I remembered that exchange with Terra 10 minutes AFTER I ordered my Kindle directly from Amazon. Terra, I am so sorry! I feel like such a bad bloggy friend. So if anyone else is planning on buying a Kindle (for vacation purposes only, of course), PLEASE go visit Terra and buy it through her blog (there is a button to click on). Thank you!


Image from Google Images

22 comments:

Terra said...

I am laughing so hard! I am glad you bought a Kindle. You will be happy with it! Don't forget about the "break in period" we discussed but once you get used to it you will be hooked for life...I am sorry to say -it is true. it is now hard for me to read "books" but some books I just have to read sans Kindle! I love my Kindle!

CW5H2O said...

You have to tell me how you like it Pam...I'm sorely tempted to buy one myself, for many of the same reasons you listed! My Aunt and a few of my friends have them and LOVE it, but I'm just not sure I can justify the cost yet...let me know what you think!

Sandy said...

Horror of horrors....Next thing ya know you'll be reading the newspaper online!!!! It makes perfect sense for vacation. It doesn't mean you are abandoning books! I also am anxious to find out how you like it. I'm not too tempted to buy one at this point but I'm sure I will in the future. My biggest objection is that you have to BUY the books.....I buy very few novels. I have a question.....once you have bought a book and it's on your Kindle....can you give/transfer/lend it to another Kindle??

Pam said...

C - You can be sure I will be blogging about it. I'll keep you posted. And if you do decide to get one, check out Terra's blog.

Sandy - I know, know! Stop me now I'm hurtling into the 21st century. Like you I never buys books, but if I only have to do it for vacation, I think I can stomach it. I'm not sure about sharing books. That would be a great feature.

Unknown said...

I am laughing thinking you saying, no, I'll never get this and then changing your tune missy! I love a new gadget, but I think I'd have to play with one more and practice using it in the variety of places I read, home, car, outside at a sports field, to be sure. I haven't really been tempted, it's more of a financial thing for me, not certain I can justify it.
My gadget of pure envy is an iphone, I tremble each time I hear, "there's and app for that"....ooooooh. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Pam,

Well, you and I have also had this discussion and frankly I am not at all surprised that you have bought a Kindle. I am soooo tempted for the same reason, travel, it seems the perfect solution to carrying lots of heavy books. I am so afraid to go forward though because I so enjoy holding a book in my hands. Eventually I am sure I will get one but if my excuse(reason) is travel I haven't been doing much of that lately so that excuse won't fly. I don't think that my long weekend to Oregon in August will count as a good enough reason.

Pam I do have a question for you, Does Geoff read on vacation? Will he also want to use the Kindle or will he be carrying books? You may need 2 Kindle's if he really like your's.

I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Colleen

Ronnica said...

Unfortunately, all my friends are as poor as me (and not many readers in the bunch...for shame!) so I've yet to get my hands on one. I know I'll either love it or hate it, but I can't figure out which until I try it.

Every time I travel, my carryon is about 30 pounds of books. SO worth it to have those books available (I jump around what I'm reading)!

Ms.Emily said...

I really really want a kindle! you will have to report back on how you like it!

Pam said...

Colleen - Great question. And this very issue was almost the death knell of buying a Kindle. Since Geoff is a slow reader and usually brings just one book on vacation (which he may or may not even open) and a few magazines (which are small and light), he will use the Kindle while on vacation only when I'm NOT using it. He agrees that this makes perfect sense, but he's not happy about it. Remember, he's the gadget guy. But, when we're home it's all his. (unless I fall in love with the foolish thing and then we're in trouble). I will NOT buy a second one. I mean it this time! I am planning on taking 1 or 2 paperback books as back ups. I really hate reading more than one book at a time, but just in case we can't share nicely, I'll be safe.

Crystal said...

Awesome, a Kindle!!!! I have wondered about those and am tempted, but then I love technology as well. My only hesitency besides the cash is I love smelling books, especially new books : )

I am reading a book I think you would like, "Keeping the House" by Ellen Baker. It's a real page turner : ) Anyway, I have been thinking of you (I'm quite sure why) as I have been reading it. Enjoy your Kindle ~

Renee said...

I kinda want one, but there is something about folding back the pages and reading a book. It would be good for vacations though- I am jealous that you can even have time to read on vacation! Enjoy it!

Alex the Girl said...

I feel horrible...I have no idea what a Kindle is even. So...shamed...so very very shamed.

Kathy B! said...

Never say never, right?!

Gamma Sharon said...

I am in the dark ages... what is a Kindle? Lol I am going over to Terra's to see what it is all about. Still, there is nothing better than picking up a book.

Pam said...

Crystal - Thanks for the book recommendation. I will definitely check it out!

Alex - Really? If you are curious, just go to amazon.com and you will see it advertised right on the opening page.

Sharon - Hey you and Alex are in good company. And I agree this is nothing like the feel of a book in your hands. Ahh. Heaven!

mommakin said...

I think they named it 'kindle' as a nod to book-burning.... I KID! I KID!!! I'm on vacation now - Tom and I share books and we brought 10 or 12 (can't remember exactly). but we didn't fly. It really does make sense for flying vacations. I don't want one (right now) but I'm afraid to take a strong position, lest I have to consult you for some good hat recipes...

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"So, I'm not a complete traitor. I'm sure I will hate reading on the Kindle"

Yes, you will! I'm snubbing my nose at you. Imagine, not turning the pages with your hand. Sort of like, uh, remote control.

Also, so sorry. I'm behind on email, blogs, everything. Thank you for the book list. Will respond soon.

Debbie said...

I can't imagine. But, like you, I may be eating those words one day. You will be honest and tell us how you like it, won't you?

BPOTW said...

Thanks for the chuckle! I'm sure you and your kindle will be very happy!

Vanessa Rogers said...

I am interested to hear how you like it. I think that is a valid reason for having a kindle as long as you still read REAL books. :)

Bethany said...

Too funny! I don't know that I would like it (I like my books WAY too much) so I'll be interested in hearing how you like it!

Gwendolyn B. said...

I'd love to have a Kindle -- but I'm not giving up my books, either. Ah, the joy of being a Gemini . . . Seriously, congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.