Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thankful Thursday


Thankful Thursdays are all about taking the time to appreciate all the little things that actually went right during the week. I am someone who can get flustered very easily - even when the smallest thing goes wrong. So why not focus on all the little things that went right and be grateful?

Again this week, I'm having trouble thinking about things to be grateful for. Maybe it's because I'm not focusing on the little things and I'm looking for BIG moments. Oh well. Here's what I've come up with:

1. I'm thankful that on Saturday night my nieces who are 10 and 8 years old spent the night at my house for the first time. Their dad had thrown a surprise party for their mom's birthday and since it was going to go late into the night, we arranged for Madeleine to babysit for them at our house and for them to spend the night. I was a little worried about how it would go, since they had never spent the night here. It was fantastic. They had no trouble going to sleep, they went right to bed with no problem and in the morning they enjoyed the blueberry pancakes that Uncle Geoff made for them. It was a real pleasure to get to spend some time with them.

2. I'm thankful that on Sunday we FINALLY had a warm and sunny day. And I made a point of taking my beach chair outside and sitting in the sun and reading my book. I actually MADE myself do it. And it was pure heaven. (Of course, I fell asleep in the warm sunshine and didn't get all that much read). Oh well.

3. Now here's the biggie. This is seriously a miracle. I can't describe how thankful I am that on Tuesday night Katie came home from work and suggested that she, Madeleine and I have a Girl's Night Out on Friday. WHAT!? I swear I practically fell out of my chair. This is the girl who can't stand to be at home. The girl that rolls her eyes every time I open my mouth. The girl who has virtually no use for her sister (who totally adores her). Yeah, that girl. I said yes as fast as I could so that she didn't have time to realize what she had said and change her mind. Here's hoping it actually happens and something doesn't change before tomorrow night. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

How about you? What are you grateful for this week?

Image from Google Images

10 comments:

Alex the Girl said...

I absolutely LOVE when the three of us (persephone, Cay, and me) get together for a girl's night out. I hope you guys have so much fun. Don't you love it when the unexpected throws you for a GOOD loop instead of a loop that leaves you all tied up and feeling like a player in a staged bank robbery? Keeping my fingers crossed that Friday is a TGIF for you.

Kathy B! said...

I am grateful for my children and that they are happy and that life is mundane and good.

It sounds ridiculous, but I seem to hear so many scary stories. I'll take mundane over exciting these days. Hands down.

Mr. + Mr. Rubio said...

I wrote my thankfuls as well. LOL@#3. My step brother and I are like that. I figured though, it would be a bit different with girls. I don't have a sister, and always wanted one. I'm glad you will get time to hang out with her though. When you do (you totally will) post and let us know how it went.

Talk to you soon! Steph.

P.S. I tagged you in my previous post as well. Check it out.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Oh that is so cute of her! Here's hoping it happens and that you all have a wonderful time together. Visiting from SITS!

Ronnica said...

I love reading/snoozing in the sun. I think that's why I enjoy the beach.

That's great about Katie!

Pam said...

Alex - A player in a staged bank robbery. lOL! Yes, I love a good loop. I could use more of them actually.

Dorkys Ramos - Thanks for visiting my blog. I really appreciate it and hope you'll stop by again.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Great post. I find gratitude an essential element to finding joy, especially in the mundane. Right now, I'm grateful school is out. That life has slowed down and I am actually reading calmly. Those are big gratitudes. A small one? My mallow hibiscus bloomed with four dinner-plate-size blossoms today.

P.S. Found my glasses.

CW5H2O said...

Well done Katie! I didn't get that smart until after I went away to college, and even though I pretended not to notice at the time, I still remember the look on my mom's face when I asked if I could come with her on her morning walks around the neighborhood. We quickly got a lot closer after I started doing that. So good on Katie for realizing how important family time is BEFORE she goes to college. You've got a smart girl there Pam. :)

Pam said...

C - I just love it when you give me insight into my relationship with Katie. You always make me feel better and give me hope. Thank you!

mommakin said...

A GNO with your daughters? How awesome!!! Fingers crossed!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.