Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Book Review: Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford by Julia Fox


Julia Fox’s debut book, Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford, is an extremely well researched biography of Anne Boleyn’s sister-in-law, Jane.

When Jane Parker married George Boleyn in 1524 she had no indication that one day her sister-in-law, Anne, would rise to the throne of England and set off a political and religious crisis in that country. Anne’s entrance into royal life opened up a whole new world for Jane and George - the glamorous and exciting world of life at court. Anne’s descent from King Henry’s favor, however, would also become Jane’s and George’s undoing.

Anyone who is intrigued by the story of the Tudors and the court of Henry VIII (as I am) will be familiar with the much maligned Jane Boleyn. Historians have presented Jane as the person responsible for providing evidence against her husband, George, which led to his execution and weighed heavily in the execution of his sister, Anne. However, Julia Fox has uncovered the truth behind Jane’s testimony and has even uncovered the sources of the misinformation that has been repeated by historians for more than 400 hundred years.

In addition to presenting a more balanced view of Jane herself, Fox has created an intriguing look at court life and the life of the nobles during the reign of Henry VIII. Filled with interesting details of everyday life, Fox provides the reader with a wealth of information about Jane’s life and experiences as a young woman. Fox also details how Jane was able to overcome her status as the wife of a traitor, remain in good stead with the King and continue living at court, thereby enabling her to support herself. Julia Fox has written a fascinating book which showcases not only the lives of the people who populated the court of Henry VIII, but which also illuminates the very real dangers facing those who were close to this volatile and unpredictable monarch.

I would give Jane Boleyn 4/5 stars (I really liked it).


Image from Google Images

5 comments:

kel said...

I love anything Boleyn.. so this is right up my alley!

Sandy said...

What Kel's said.....wonderful period.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful....another one for my list which is growing faster than I can read.

Colleen

Ginger said...

Absolutely I need to read this book. I am a great fan of the Tudor, my favorite one being Elizabeth. Right now I am catching up on the Showtime series, The Tudors,which ismore historically accurate than I expected, and yet not so accurate.. The last episode I watched was George's marriage to Jane. Instead of a consenting marriage, The Tudors portrays their union as more of a rape, both in ceremony and in consumation. They alledge that George was at least bisexual, and I can see how the accusation of incest (between George and Anne) is being set up.

Unknown said...

It sounds good. I'm going to add this one to my list!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.