Saturday, December 26, 2009

Last Stand of 2009: A New Year's Meme


The following meme is courtesy of Saturday 9.

Last Stand of 2009


1. What did you think of 2009?

I hadn't really given 2009 as a whole a lot of thought. I think like most years, it had it's ups and downs. Overall I think it was a good year, in the sense that my family is relatively happy and healthy.


2. What do you think was the news story of the year?
It seems as though the big entertainment story of the the year was Michael Jackson's death. But the most amazing story of the year, in my opinion, was the plane crash in the Hudson River in which no one was seriously injured. A truly heroic moment.

3. What happened this year that you never want to hear another word about?
Jon and Kate Gosselin and their 8 whiny brats children.


4. What was your favorite song of 2009?

Second Chance by Shinedown. That is one song I will sing at the top of my lungs no matter who's in the car to hear me. And if you knew how bad of a singer I am, you would know that I must LOVE that song!


5. What did you accomplish this year?

Ths is a tough one. My life is really just about the day to day. I don't really accomplish "big things". I did participate in the Reading Across Rhode Island nominating committee this year, which is something I'm proud of and excited about. Other than that the most important thing I did this year was help my daughter through a stressful time this fall. It was very overwhelming for several weeks, but I managed to find an appropriate solution while also keeping her afloat academically and not falling apart myself. It was a real challenge, but we got through it.


6. Did you learn anything new this year?

I learned that sometimes it's better to let go of things in your life that are not adding value. Especially if they are adding stress. Even if it means giving up on something that you feel strongly about.
7. What are you looking forward to in the new year?

I'm not sure about this one. This year will be the year that Katie (my oldest child) goes off to college for the first time. That is really something I'm spending a lot of time anticipating. Not sure I'm exactly "looking forward" to it. But it is looming large in my thoughts. I'm very aware of the passage time in relation to my time spent with her. Ugh!

8. What are your plans for New Year's Eve?

Right now the plan is to have a quiet evening at home with Geoff and the girls. Of course, if it's anything like last year, the girls will make last minute plans with their friends and Geoff and I will be left home staring at each other. But in all seriousness, after the hubbub of the holidays, I really do like to spend New Year's Eve at home with my family. It just felt a little lonely last year when the girls went out. Oh well. That's life.

9. What's the best thing you ever did on a New Year's Eve?

Several years ago we had three families come over and spend the night. The adults enjoyed a wine, cheese and chocolate tasting while the kids watched movies in the basement (also known as the teen lounge). It snowed over night and in the morning everyone (except me and one other mom) went sledding at the golf course in our town. They we all had a New Year's Day brunch. It was a lot of fun.


Want to play? Be sure to link up your post at Saturday 9.

4 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"The adults enjoyed a wine, cheese and chocolate tasting while the kids watched movies in the basement (also known as the teen lounge). It snowed over night and in the morning everyone (except me and one other mom) went sledding at the golf course in our town. They we all had a New Year's Day brunch. It was a lot of fun."

Oh, that sounds like my kind of fun. Hope you don't end up staring at each other this year. Maybe you should throw another party like that! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I loved how your phrased what you had accomplished in 2009, because I feel the same way, that my life is about the day to day things, and not about big things.

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's a fun meme.

It sounds like 2009 was pretty decent for you. I've been trying hard not to feel like mine was lousy, or even just "okay."

I'm going to have to give a couple of these questions some thought.

Alex the Girl said...

Woo, my mind is such a blank! All I can say is thank whatever God may be that I am still alive. Just living, in my opinion, is my biggest accomplishment! I am so grateful that I am alive enough to say.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.