Friday, December 31, 2010

Best Books of 2010


The end of the year seems to be a popular time for "Best of" Lists. I couldn't miss the opportunity to make my own Best List. Of course mine is going to be all about books. Of the 97 books I've read in 2010, 26 of them received a 4 or 5 star rating. Looking back over those, 6 rose to the top as my choice for Best Books Read in 2010. Since not all of these books were published in 2010, this is not technically a Best Books of 2010 list, but a Best Books Read in 2010 list.

Pam's Best Books Read in 2010

Lord of the Flies by William Golding - The only book I read in 2010 to receive a perfect score of 5 Stars. If you haven't read this one since High School or College, you really need to revisit it. It is fabulous.

Room by Emma Donoghue -This book appears on lots of Best of 2010 lists. And for once, I agree!

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education by Craig M. Mullaney - The 2011 Reading Across RI selection. I expected to dislike this book and absolutely LOVED it! Not at all what you would expect based on the title. The best book you haven't heard of.

The Red Thread by Ann Hood - Amazing book by a local author and the subject of our best book club meeting ever!

The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian - The book has a wickedly funny narrator. It deals with a serious topic in a lighthearted and engaging way. Another terrific book you probably haven't heard of.

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls - This is the second memoir by the talented Walls, author of The Glass Castle. This time her subject is her indomitable maternal grandmother, Lily.


2010 was a pretty good book year for me. While I managed to read 10 more books in 2010 than I did in 2009 and I rated twice as many of them 4 or 5 stars, I didn't really read any books that WOWed me. 2009 was a better year for books that blew me away. How about you? What are your top books of 2010? I'd love to hear from you. After all 2011 is just around the corner and I can always use some recommendations.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I have to agree with you about books that Wow'd me, or didn't as the case is.
I three with 5 stars, The Red Thread, Savving CeeCee Honeycutt, and Where's My Want(memoir). I think I am sometimes too nice. I read a whopping one book more than in 2009, and sadly it was not my goal, my small goal was 24 books, seems easy, but alas I didn't hit it.
Room is on my to read list for 2011.
Nothing touched me as deeply as The Help did in 2009.
I have loads of variety to read now, some freebies on my Kindle and some books won, and then those I can't wait to read.
Thank you as always for all your recommendations!

Mary K Brennan said...

Sadly I read no where near 90 books. My latest read was Room. Since it's told through the perspective of a five year old, it at times was a difficult read. But all in all a good story. Another favorite of mine was House Rules by Jodi Piccoult. She has a great ability to tell a wonderful story and yet surprise her readers.
My last book for 2010 was Whoopi's : "Is it just Me...."
Let me just answer that question with a "Yes it is Whoopi." In a bad attempt at complaining about public behavior, Whoopi gets away with bad grammar and a disorganized collection of pages that some publishing house knew would generate money based on popularity instead of content.
In any event, I look forward to 2012 and some more favorites. Happy New Year!

nan said...

Thanks for the list! I should re-read Lord of the Flies, and I put the other books in my ever-growing queue of "to read." I hope you'll be posting here more frequently in the post-WOW era. I did enjoy WOW, but also missed you here.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I think I only read 2 books this year that were actually published this year. I liked Mockingjay a lot, despite its flaws. I LOVED The Confession. But I'm sure you read so many books that The Confession wouldn't really rank so high on your list. But that was my favorite this year. I cried while reading it. A lot.

I will read more books in 2011. No where near as many as you, but more.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I think I only read 2 books this year that were actually published this year. I liked Mockingjay a lot, despite its flaws. I LOVED The Confession. But I'm sure you read so many books that The Confession wouldn't really rank so high on your list. But that was my favorite this year. I cried while reading it. A lot.

I will read more books in 2011. No where near as many as you, but more.

Terra said...

Half Broke Horses was a good book! I have not read the rest on your list, but maybe I will. I like Jeanette Walls, she got some criticism for this second book, but I really enjoyed it!

Happy new Year Pam.

injaynesworld said...

I'll be reading a lot more books this year because I got the NookColor ereader for Christmas which makes them much more affordable. Just started David Sedaris' "Engulfed In Flames" book of humor essays. Hysterical. But the best book I read in 2010 was "Big Girls Don't Cry" about how the 2008 election changed American women. Awesome. I read it twice! Happy New Year, Pam.

Ronnica said...

I did revisit Lord of the Flies this year and was disappointed. I guess since I knew all about Piggie's fate, it wasn't as shocking? I also made the mistake of listening to Golding himself reading it...there's a reason he was an author, not a radio personality.

Jen said...

"The Lord of the Flies" is on my list of books I hope to read by July this year, so I'm moving it up to the next one I read on the list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Right now, I'm working my way through "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised; I thought it would be a struggle to get through, but I'm really getting into the story!

Happy 2011 reading!

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, 97 books! That's quite an accomplishment.

I've read The Lord of the Flies (agree - excellent) and got Room for Christmas (can't wait!), but the rest of your list are new to me - I'll have to check them out. I did enjoy Glass Castles, too.

I'm working on my best of list to post tomorrow.

Sue

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.