Saturday, March 21, 2009

Psst! Do You Want to Know a Secret?


For all you Rhode Islander's out there, I'm going to let you in on a the best kept secret in RI's theater scene. The Community Players. This year I bought a season's ticket on the recommendation of my friend, Colleen. Colleen had gone to see their production of Chicago because a friend of hers was performing in it. She was so impressed with the production that she decided to buy a season's subscription and I (quite tactfully) invited myself to join her! Well, I have not been disappointed, to say the least. The subscription rate is a mere $45 for 4 shows. So far this year we've seen Gypsy, Mousetrap and last night we saw A Grand Night for Singing. The final show for this season is the comedy Moonlight and Magnolias, which will be running June 12-21 (weekends only). I love the variety of shows that they produce. Musicals, mysteries, comedies, musical revues...they do it all. I have already pre-paid for the 2009-2010 season. It looks to be a great line up - A Chorus Line, Postmortem, Thoroughly Modern Millie and one other show which has yet to be announced. Oh goody, I love surprises! Don't you?

7 comments:

My Big Fat Super Super Obese Blog said...

Wow lucky you. I'm sure I must have something similar locally. I may try to search it out, I think my son would enjoy going to the theater.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I've always wanted to see shows "regularly". You go...you think it's great...you say "why don't I do this more often?"...and then time passes and you forget.

Thanks for visiting me from SITS - good luck with those 100 comments.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Right - so I had you mixed up with another commenter doing the "100 comments". So I won't wish you luck with that. But thanks again for visiting and reminding me that I really do need to go to more shows....

Pam said...

Oh, you really should! My kids have always loved theater. A good place to start is your local High School. Their shows are always kid-friendly, inexpensive and usually surprisingly well done. Let me know if you do find anything. I'd love to hear what your son (and you) thought!

Anne said...

I love community theatre! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! :)

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I used to go to see The Community Players about a million years ago when they were at The Boathouse at Slater Park. Maybe not a million but at least 30 and I remember enjoying their productions. Remember I am a Pawtucket native! So how do I 'tactfully' invite myself along with you and Colleen (I'm assuming Colleen K?) You know that the Man in My Life (who shall remain nameless) does not care for theater and has finally stopped going even just to please me (which is really okay because it saves the cost of a ticket which can get pricey) so now I have to find others to go with. So should I reserve a ticket for next season, too?

Pam said...

Hi Sandy. Yes, I do mean Colleen K. Absolutely you should reserve a ticket! The more the merrier. If you want you can even buy a single ticket and join us for Moonlight and Magnolias in June as well. I'll let you know what day we decide to go.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.