Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday

It's that time of the week. Time to take a (much needed) break from complaining and focus on the positive. Here's a list of things I'm grateful for this week:

1. I'm thankful that I spotted a Girl Scout selling cookies on the street corner last weekend. Every year I order a huge supply of Girl Scout cookies from my nieces. This year when they came by to sell the cookies, I wasn't home. For some completely incomprehensible reason, my hubby only ordered 3 boxes. 3 boxes! What was he thinking? There are four of us in the house. We all LOVE girl scout cookies. They are only available once a year. Three boxes! Really? So needless to say I swooped down on the poor unsuspecting Girl Scout and cleaned her out!

2. I'm thankful that I have finally found a good meeting place for my book club, Chapter Chat. We have been struggling with this for almost a year. Every place we tried was either too noisy, went out of business or the service was too s-l-o-w. Now we meet in a restaurant with a private room where we can control the lighting, and the music, it's quiet and the food is good. What more can ask for?

3. Contrary to the impression left by my last post, I am thankful for my wonderful husband (even if he didn't buy enough cookies). Geoff is a really great guy. He is kind, gentle, hardworking and dedicated to me and our daughters. No one could ask for a better husband. So, now the question is, why does he put up with me? I'm not really sure, but I'm eternally grateful!

It really does feel great to take even a couple of minutes once a week to think about all that has gone right in the last week. It' so refreshing to stop thinking about all the blunders and aggravations and focus on the positive. I wonder why it's more automatic to focus on the negative? Is it just me? Hmmm.... Something to think about.

11 comments:

Celine said...

Hi Pam! I love your new blog layout! Soo cute!
I love the things you're thankful for, very down to earth and touching.

mommakin said...

I think we all tend to focus on the negative. Human nature...

Glad you found such cool digs for your book club. I'm still looking for a book club. I have one friend who's kind of interested - maybe we just need to get the ball rolling...

Also? I heart girl scout cookies.

Also, too? Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Pam said...

Hi Celine - I think being thankful for the simple things is key to everyday thankfulness. Thanks for you kind comments on my blog. Stay tuned, I've gotten something exciting planned for the third week of April :)

Tammy - Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Good luck with getting a book club off the ground. I highly recommend it. Even if you just have the two of you, you should do it. I'm in two book clubs. One I run (at the library where I work and one I just organize). If you want any pointers I'd be happy to help. In case you couldn't tell, reading is my passion!

Ruby said...

Love your Thankful Thursdays, they really make me take stock in amidst all the rush of daily life! Glad you found your book club venue. I tried a book club with friends, but we all ended up talking about the book for about 20 minutes and then everyone got talking about anything but for the rest of the time!! A good time was had by all though!! How's your blog going??

Alex the Girl said...

I need a good book club in order to get me reading new authors and other books besides science fantasy (waiting impatiently for George RR Martin's next book). That's what I loved the most about college. I was forced to read books I wouldn't have touched otherwise (like "To Kill A Mockingbird" only the best book ever written). However, I'll have to agree with Ruby...we never talk about the books!!!

Great Thankful Thursday post. Glad I stopped by.

Pam said...

Hi Ruby - My book club has suffered from the same problem. Everyone was wanting to talk more about the books, but it wasn't happening. We fixed it in two ways. One, we found a quieter place to meet so that everyone could hear everyone else and that eliminated the "side conversations" that were talking place. Secondly, now at the beginning of the meeting we chit chat for about 15 minutes and then one person (that would be me!) starts the discussion by sharing some author biographical information and getting the discussion going by purposfully posing a question or making a comment. This sounds much more academic than it is. And, of course, it works because everyone was feeling that they actually wanted to talk about the book.

Thanks for you kind comments about Thankful Thursday. I'm so glad you like to visit my blog. As for my blog, I have it all figured out and today I plan on submitting my questionnaire to Lindsey. I'm so excited.

Pam said...

Hi Alex - So glad you stopped by blog! The best thing about book clubs is being exposed to books you never would have read otherwise. If you liked To Kill a Mockingbird, you might also like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. One of my two favorite books of all time. If you do read it, be sure to stop back here and let me know what you thing.

April said...

Hey Pam...
So glad you stopped by today; you're welcome back anytime! I REALLY hope I survive the whole skiing "adventure". Your story makes me very nervous!

The Rambler said...

I love reading...love the library. Wish I could go more.

Thanks so much for visiting me on my SITS day :)

nan said...

Hi Pam. I am enjoying your blog, and especially like your Thankful Thursdays!

Pam said...

Hi Rambler - Thanks for stopping by. Hope your SITS day was a fun one.

Hi Nan - Glad you enjoy my blog. Thankful Thursdays seem to be a favorite. Come back anytime!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.