Wednesday, August 5, 2009
MUSING MONDAYS are hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page. Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is a library habits meme…courtesy of MizB:
Being an Assistant Librarian there was NO WAY I could pass up this meme.
Library Habits meme:
1) If you don't frequent your local library, why not?
I work in my library so I am already there, but even before I worked in a library I was a confirmed library rat.
2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go?
I'm at the library at least twice a week (again, for work. Though I do all most of my patronage then as well).
3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves?
I don't do a lot of perusing any more. Since I'm around the books all the time I pretty much already know what I want to read next. In my pre-library worker days, I would browse the new book shelves and then I would pick a random bookcase in the fiction area and browse it until I had to leave.
4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this?
There is no limit at our library. I usually have between 1 and 4 books checked out for myself at any one time. I also put my kids and my mom's books on my card. (As a staff member I don't get fines for overdue books). In all, I usually have between 6 and 10 books total out at a time.
5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out?
Books check out for 3 weeks, DVDs and magazines for 1 week.
6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all?
Items can be renewed once, unless another patron has a hold on it. In that case, it can not be renewed.
7) What do you love best about your particular library?
It was built in 1889 and it looks like a castle. The inside is full of stained glass windows, fireplaces, high vaulted ceilings and gorgeous carved wood bookcases. It's a library out of an English period movie. Idyllic!
8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently?
This is a tough one for me to answer. Since I work there I have a whole different "behind the scenes" perspective. From a patron point of view, I wish the library was larger so there were more areas for patron usage - reading areas, meeting areas, etc.
9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch?
Both. I request books from my computer at home (just like any other patron) and also from work. It just depends where I am when I learn about a book I want to read. Of course at work, I AM the librarian, so I just do it myself.
10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it, and why did you love it?
This is the thing I miss most now that I work in a library. Before I became a "librarian" I would browse for hours and rarely knew what I wanted to read ahead of time. I LOVED spending time lost in the stacks, browsing books. Pure heaven. Now that I work with books, I have a tbr list a mile long and I rarely browse. I know that I found loads of books that I loved through random browsing, but it's been so long ago I can't really recall any of them. I do remember loving a book called Three Women at Water's Edge sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. All I remember now is the title. I wonder what I would think of it today?
How about you? What are your library habits? PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with your opinion or link to your own Monday Musing post.