Sunday, November 22, 2009

TV Quick Quips


TV Quick Quips are late again this week. Ugh! Here's my thoughts on this week's episodes of my favorite shows. Even though I feel as though I'm starting to repeat myself.

I still cry every episode of The Biggest Loser, but I'm at the point where I like all the remaining people equally. So, I don't really have all that much to say.

Modern Family is still the best new (or old) show on TV, in my opinion.

I've definitely lost my enthusiasm for Glee. What started out as a light-hearted, fun, guilty pleasure show has most definitely lost its charm. The whole Quinn lying to Finn about him being the father of her baby has gone on too long. And her attitude that he needs to "do something" about her financial situation is gag worthy. She needs to take some responsibility as well. Not to mention Finn isn't even the dad. And the fact that these are teenagers (!) just makes it all the more sick. I do enjoy the singing and dancing, but I'm not sure I can stomach any more of the pregnancy storyline(s) - both Finn/Quinn and the Schuster's false pregnancy. Yuck!

The Office was disappointing this week and there wasn't even a good Creed line to redeem the episode. As much as I hate to admit it, I think this show has outlived it's funny. I will probably continue to watch, though, since I was so in love with this show for so long. And every now and then there is a good episode.

But my big TV news for this week comes courtesy of Nan at Jade Page Press. Last week Nan mentioned to me that she was enjoying the first season of a BBC show called Gavin & Stacey that is out on DVD. She thought I might enjoy it. And did I ever! Geoff and I were hooked from the very first episode! The show centers around two young people who meet over the phone (through their jobs) and over the course of a few months decide they like each other and want to meet. The show is about their relationship, their families and their nutty friends. It is adorable, charming, funny and quirky. I (and Nan) highly recommend it.

5 comments:

buhdoop said...

I comepletely feel you on the baby drama with tv shows. It annoys me to no end when storylines always want a baby triangle or separate the married couple with a love triangle. When it's with highschool kids its just like uhg!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm still digging Glee, but it's definitely time for Quinn to admit that she's lying about the baby daddy. I'm getting tired of that whole thing, too.

And I still love The Office. It's definitely not as good as it was, but I think it's because they're trying too hard to up the ante. If they just dial it back a little, it'll be a great show again.

mommakin said...

Modern Family is made of win. I loved that Phil had it going on for the anniversary and Claire was clueless - it was about time those tables turned, I was starting to wonder what she saw in him...

I still love Glee - I like that they've added some shades of gray to the characters we're supposed to dislike, like Sue and Quinn in the past two weeks. But I am such a sucker for a show where they burst into song and dance - I wish life was like that (well, mine sometimes is...).

I will say this for The Office - they're not making it all about the baby, as I'd feared they might. So, kudos for that.

The Rambler said...

OMg...LOVED Modern Family this week. I laughed so friggin hard when Jay sprayed Manny. I don't know why...I just died.

I so get that about the Office. It's like pulling teeth waiting for the funny that I usuallly get. MMMMM....wonder if Modern Family ruined it for me? Not sure...or that Jim got Pam..IDK?

nan said...

I am *so* glad you are enjoying Gavin & Stacy as much as we have. I can't wait to get Season 2 on DVD! I have two more recommendations for you (I feel a blog post for my blog coming on - under the quality TV label) ... I think you'll like "Spaced." It is from a few years back now - not as sweet as Gavin & Stacy, but in my opinion, quite funny! Also, with your love of theatre, Slings and Arrows (Canadian) was fantastic and ran for too short a time. Both of these shows are on DVD in whole season. I think the both ran for about 2 or 3 seasons tops.

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.