Monday, March 23, 2009

All the News That's Fit to...Print?


Did you all hear that last week The Seattle Post-Intelligencer produced it's last printed edition and is now an Internet-only news source? Was anyone else saddened or dismayed by this? What is this world coming to? Call me a traditionalist, but I really don't like this newest trend of the future. As someone who hates change and is a confirmed technophobe (heck, I just barely know how to use my cell phone and email), I really don't want to see the newspaper go the way of the dinosaur. Besides, a newspaper is something that is meant to be held, folded and have it's pages snapped. Every weekday morning, after the chaos of getting my kids out the door, I look forward to sitting down at the kitchen table with my cup of tea, my breakfast and the newspaper. Somehow, I just can't imagine getting the same cozy, peaceful feeling from my laptop! Not to mention that a newspaper is much more forgiving of syrupy, buttery, milky splatters than my laptop would be. Just like the cellphone and surfing the net, I know I'll probably be the last holdout on this one. I fully expect to have to be led kicking and screaming to my laptop for my daily dose of Ask Amy. I'll do it I have to, but I won't be a happy about it. And don't even get me started on the Kindle!

11 comments:

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Pam, you read my mind! I was going to suggest a Kindle because you can subscribe to lots of newspapers on it and it is still something you can comfortably hold and read. My Darlin' Companion has one. You and he are in total agreement about the unfortunate demise of the print newspaper. He was a journalist for many years. I'm a librarian and I love holding books and making notes in the margins so I sympathize. (You can't take the laptop into the bathtub, now can you?)

Thanks for the warm welcome to the SITStahood, and for stopping by my blog, DomesticMuse.

Alex the Girl said...

I totally agree, and feel the same about E. books.

Pam said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a librarian wannabe (I'm an Assistant Librarian at a small public library. I LOVE my job!). I can imagine a world without books. Reading books on a Kindle is absolutley where I'm going to draw the line on jumping on the technology bandwagon. I'm going to start hording books now, in preparation for the (book) Apocalypse!


Hi Alex! I hear ya SITSta! I will never, ever read a e-book. Mark my words!

Pam said...

Oops! It should say I CAN'T imagine a world without books in the post above. Where's the edit button when you need it? Proofreading, anyone?

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi from SITS!

My day job is in the newspaper buisness and the company I work for owned the Seattle paper you spoke of. Let me tell you, it's sad in the newspaper buisness.

Pam said...

Hi Duck! Thanks for stopping by. I am very sad by what's happening in the newspaper business. I really can't imagine not having a local daily paper delivered to my doorstep each morning.

Girl Tornado said...

Stopping by via SITS... I agree, it is definitely sad about the newspaper, such a valued and warm tradition. But honestly, I've been using the internet for my news for YEARS now, esp when I was at work. Up to the minute, breaking news. But I draw the line at Kindle too. I love my books!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam...personally I wish the Kindle were cheaper. If we didn't have to have 25 lbs of books in Eric's suitcase and carry on ever time we traveled it would be great! I'm sure we wouldn't use it often, but when you have a kid who can read 5+ books a week a Kindle can be very useful.

Pam said...

Gail! I hate to admit it, but I've said the same thing about the Kindle. I take 5 or 6 books when I go an vacation and a Kindle would be helpful then. I wish there was a way to rent one!

Kathy said...

I'm with you girlfriend! I just can't imagine reading the news from a laptop can be as relaxing as the morning paper.

Pam said...

Hi Oz - I completely understand your love of books!

Hi Kathy - nothing beats that "Ahhh" feeling once the kids (and hubby) are out the door and I can relax with the paper and a cup of tea!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.