Monday, August 31, 2009

And Away They Go!

I've been waiting for this day for 9 long years. I can't believe it's finally here. It felt like it would never come and now it's here and I can't believe how fast the time has flown.

Today marks the first day, since Madeleine was in kindergarten, that my girls will be in the same school. I'm not sure why that matters to me, but there is something very sweet about my girls being in school together. Katie is a "rule the school" Senior and Madeleine is a slightly anxious Freshman. In my mind's eye, I picture Madeleine comforted by the fact that her big sister is in the building somewhere and will have her back if need be. As a matter of fact, one of Madeleine's friends called here last night and asked Katie to stick up for her if any older kids hassle her. So, Katie gets to play the big sister role to some of Madeleine's friends as well. I bet Katie enjoys that role. Everyone wants to feel needed.

Today also marks the first day of a whole bunch of "lasts" for Katie (and for me). Today I took the very last "first day of school" picture of Katie. That felt a little sad. I've taken a picture of each of my girls on their first and last day of school since preschool.


Here they are on their first day of Senior and Freshman years:

Notice the shirt. All the seniors made them so everyone will know who's boss!




This is Madeleine's "nervous smile". She very patiently indulged my first day of school picture tradition, even though she was anxious to get going. Thanks, Madeleine!


And Away They Go....

My babies are off to High School. *sniff, sniff*


16 comments:

Debbie F said...

My daughter also started high school today! I really can't believe it! I keep saying she's getting older but I'm not!!!!

Unknown said...

Awww Pam, it's a big year for Katie, and you too. A senior in high school, with so much ahead of her and yet in one short year so many changes. I'm thinking about you!
Your girls are lovely, nervous smiles and all.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Good to luck to both of them! Very exciting/nerve wracking I bet!

By the way, I left you a comment last week about the last Monday Giveaway. Send me your address today so you can get your goodie or let me know by end of day if you'd rather pass it up. Thanks!

yonca said...

Your girls are lovely!!! Good luck to both of them!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cool they're in the same school!

Anonymous said...

Pam....I remember Ashley's senior year...it just flew by, it is such a busy year and it is so bittersweet. I wish sometimes for a do over, did I enjoy every moment that I could, I think so but I miss my pre college daughter. The time just went too fast. So my advice to you is to enjoy every minute of Katie's last year of high school and Madeleine's first year of high school. As you know her 4 years will fly my, just like Katie's did. Ashley's senior year I think I cried the entire year thinking that this is the "last time" we would be doing this or that. But lots of good things ahead for our girls and time does go on...at times with the stress of college applications and endless forms perhaps Senior year is just long enough now that I am thinking about it...

Colleen

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I understand. I took my youngest's picture the other morning. Last day of having one in pubic school - after 19 years.
I understand the sniffles.

Sue Jackson said...

My boys were only in school together 2 years, when my youngest was in K and 1st and my oldest in 4th and 5th - never again. They're only 3 1/2 years apart in age, but 4 years apart in school because of how their birthdays fall.

My youngest went off to his first day of middle school (6th grade) today. My oldest starts his sophomore year of high school on Wednesday. He turned 15 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still in shock. 15 just seems so much older than 14! He's a very sweet kid, though, and in no hurry to grow up too fast (unlike I was at his age, thank goodness!)

I wanted to take a picture of my son this morning but wasn't sure he'd like that as a big middle-schooler!

Sue

mommakin said...

My girls won't be together for three more years. I know exactly what you mean. Next year their buses will come at close to the same time - and I'm looking forward to that - but there's something about thinking of them in the same place...

Enjoy this exciting year with your (BEAUTIFUL!!!) girls!

Pam said...

Debbie - Isn't it weird? My girls keep getting older, too, but me? I stay exactly the same! And here I thought I was the only one.

Colleen - you make me laugh! I do think I will miss my HS daughters when they are both in college and beyond. But, I'm sure that the stress of the Senior Year will have me wishing for it to "end already"! Hindsight is 20/20.

Kimberly Wright said...

They look very happy and excited. I hope they had a great day!

Sandy said...

Oh boy, where did the time go? I still think back to the story about you spending the night outside the preschool for Katie's spot.....{sigh}

Gail Foelsch said...

My 2 will never be together again....they were for Eric's 4th & 5th grades and Maia's K & 1 but they are 4 yrs apart in school so that's the end.

I like Katie's Sr. Shirt -- around here we've seen TONS of cars with Senior or Class of 2010 painted on the windows (we started last week).

I hope they both have a great year.

Gail

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Awww... it's so different with girls. Thanks for stopping by today!

Gamma Sharon said...

I remember those days. I think I miss them too!

tori said...

awww! so sweet and they smiled so nice. mine never do that!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.